How Joining Team Coco Is Like Studying For The Bar Exam

I'm With Coco (Team Conan O'Brien, Face) TV Poster Print - 13" X 19"In high school, I would come home from school and go straight to bed.  I'd wake up a few hours later to eat dinner and watch The Late Show with David Letterman. I stayed with Dave until he did the Top Ten List, then change over to The Tonight Show with Jay Leno in time for the monologue.  As soon as Jay finished the monologue, I'd leave to start my homework.

During that time in high school, I had a cousin working in New York. During one of our conversations, she excitedly told me about meeting Conan O'Brien.  The whole time she was telling the story, I kept wondering, "who the hell is Conan O'Brien?" I had no idea because I was always doing my homework. But, I was too embarrassed to stop and ask her because she was so excited.

The first time I watched Late Night with Conan O'Brien, I didn't enjoy it.  Conan didn't seem to have the confidence of Leno or the sarcasm of Letterman. I was confused by Conan having a sidekick and I didn't understand why the drummer was the band leader.

My cousin and I generally have the same type of humor.  We both enjoy the quirky, nerdy mid-western humor that we grew up with over the sarcastic New York or the catty Los Angeles humor. I trusted her sense of humor and kept watching the show. I'm now a dedicated member of Team Coco.

While studying for the bar exam, the people you choose to keep around you is very important. As my cousin's excitement affected me, your friends frustrations and nervousness will affect you. On the other hand, the people who give you strength and encouragement will motivate you to keep plodding forward. Its difficult enough just to get to the finish line.  You don't need anyone doing anything that may hold you back.  Make sure the people around you are positive and encouraging.  If their not, make arrangements to see them in August.